Monday, September 8, 2008

My Jakey


Well i thought i would share a little about my son Jacob. Jacob is my 6 year old son. He is a ray of sunshine in my life. I wanted to share our conversation after school on Friday of last week. He told me that the teacher wanted them to share one wish. He said his wish was that "everybody could be a christian." And he also told her that the red stands for " Jesus' blood when he died on the cross." This wasnt a big surprise to me, because his teacher last year informed me that Jake raised his hand and told on everybody who used the Lords Name in vain! Jake has always had such a innocent yet passionate love for God. He loves praying for people. A couple weeks ago my youngest son Johnny slammed his finger in the storm door. He cried so hard and i said to Johnny "Honey do you want mommy to pray?" He shook his head yes and as we were kneeling down, Jacob yells from the other room "Mommy i already prayed for him!" Then the other day i was cleaning and i found a paper and Jake had wrote"I LOVE JESUS AND HE LOVES ME. WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE EVERYBODY." I need to tell you that my pregnancy with him was not the easiest. I went to the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore for a level 2 sonogram because i had taken a medine during the early part of my pregnancy that is a known drug to cause major cranial defects in fetuses(Depakoate). So my nerves were already racked to say the least. But i still was not prepared for what i heard. I noticed the tech was very quiet and serious, and i asked the question we all ask"So how does everything look?" She said "We are not allowed to say, the doctor will speak with you when iam done." I thought this odd because i had had several sonograms before with other pregnancys and usually the tech will light-heartedly say" So good so far", or something to that nature. She finished up and about 10 minutes later the doctor comes in and starts doing his own sonogram. I asked him "So is everything alright?" I will never forget his answer as long as i live. He said " Well you have asked me a pretty blunt question, so i am going to give you a pretty blunt answer...no." My heart sank. He went on to tell us that Jacob had 3 cysts in his brain, his cerebellum was underdeveloped, and his intestines had fluid in them. These were "markers" for 3 different conditions...one being fatal. The first was Downs Syndrome( Okay i can deal with that. i know people with downs kids and they are great! I also used to be a hugger for the Special Olympics.) The second was Cystic Fibrosis. Now this was harder to take because i know this to be a chronic fatal illness, but i can deal with that too, because i still would hopefully have him here for many years. Then the words i never wanted to hear. Trisomy 18 or 21( i honestly cannot remember which one it was.) But the doctor told us that i would either not carry to term or if i did, he would die soon after birth. MY HEART WAS CRUSHED. After talking a little more, he said the dreaded words you never want to hear...."If you choose to terminate we can do that here." I will never forget what my hero of a husband said next. He stood up out of his chair and very sternly said "DOC THAT WILL NOT EVEN BE AN OPTION!" From that point on i knew that no matter what this baby had, we would get thru this together. I cried all the way home. I called Patricks Aunt Susie and told her. She said"Dont you worry about this honey. i am going to get all of the prayer warriors on this." And thats what we did! PRAYED! The following Monday i went back in for an amniocentesis(not a good experience), but my results would not be in for a week or two. We kept praying. The following Friday i went in for another level 2 sonogram for a recheck of the growth of the cyst, cerebellum and intestinal fluid. I still at this point had not recieved my ammio results yet. Another tech was doing my sonogram and she asked who did my last sono. I told her who it was(i dont want to mention who he is here, but i can tell you he was a teacher and a head doctor in the perinatal unit.) She said "Well i dont know what is going on, but there is no cyst in this babys brain, his cerebellum is perfect size and his intestines are fine."PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!! I said"Oh, i know why!!!" God healed him! I saw the cysts in his brain. I had a top doctor who diagnosed this baby with a underdeveloped cerebellum and fluid in his intestines. The rest of the pregancy went on as planned, however, the morning Jake was born he had to be transported back to Uof M because he was having heart, breathing problems and he couldnt regulate his body temp. He was there for 4 days and then came home and has been blessing us ever since! He reminds me of a gentle giant. He is big for his age, but he is such a little lover. One day during sunday school a couple months ago, his teacher told me that he raised his hand out of the blue and he told the class that "God has us under His wings." I know God has big plans for this little boy of mine! I am so glad God gave him to me!

1 comment:

Jenn's Blog said...

Oh Amy I just love this story. Jacob is so special. I know they all are but I think this one has a calling!! This just goes to show you can't believe all that you here in the Dr. office. God is in control, what a great testimony!!